Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Naomi ~ Following God Through the Pain

Ever read the story of Naomi?  She was Ruth's mother-in-law and eventually, she acted as David's grandmother and Jesus' great-great-I don't really know how many greats-grandmother.  

But what if she had given up when tragedy touched her life? 

Her story started with a famine.  She relocated to Moab with her family.  The famine was only the beginning of tough times.  Her husband died.  Her two sons, who had married in Moab, DIED.  This was tragedy after tragedy.  She was alone.  With only two daughters-in-law left, she tried to part ways with them when she heard things were good in Judah again. 

They even wanted to go with her.  She said no, because it didn't make much sense.  Maybe it was Naomi's grief talking.  She felt utter loneliness.  She was bone-weary of pain.  

One daughter-in-law took her advice and stayed in Moab.  The other, Ruth, did not.  

"But Ruth replied, "Don't ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God."

Ruth 1:16 NLT


It makes me wonder, what was there about Naomi's faith that caused Ruth to stay with her?  

I think the Holy Spirit was prompting her and leading her.

Eventually Ruth met Boaz and ended up marrying him.  It's a beautiful love story that some call the Hallmark Movie of the Bible.  


Ruth and Naomi were in the very center of God's will.  If we follow the story through to chapter 4, we find that Naomi found joy again in Ruth and Boaz's baby boy, Obed.  

But WHAT IF Ruth hadn't married Boaz?  The family lineage goes something like this:

Boaz---> Obed---> Jesse---> David---> and eventually Jesus


I look at this winding road that Naomi was on and how Ruth joined her.  I look at the outcome of it all. 
I think about that "WHAT IF?"  

When I look at Naomi, I see that you can follow God, even through intense pain.  


Let's not veer from the will of God because of our deep pain.  

We WILL find joy and impact others.  

Dominique


Pics snapped on a fun little day trip to the cabin.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!