Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Winter Reading

Winter time is for reading... among other things!

The thrill that went through my heart when I saw Blossom4 kneeling at this veritable buffet of Nancy Drew was worth all the time I've spent investing in her reading journey.

She's been knocking out Nancy Drew books in less than a day each.  


On the read-aloud front, we're putt-putt-putting through Christmas with Anne.  It's a collection of Lucy Maude Montgomery's short stories and excerpts that involve Christmas and New Year's themes.  Even though Christmas has marched back into our great-grandmother's storage steamer trunk for another year, the cozy winter lights remain and we snuggle down during lunch and I read.  


We get busy.  Our days move faster and faster it seems.  And yet, why do I keep coming back to reading aloud, even when I'm only hitting my goal 2-3 times a week?  

That lunch time pause brings us together.  It restores a peace to our time at home.  It helps us linger over quality words and thoughts that take us deeper than mundane life.  It brings opportunities for deeper discussion.  It's just so good.  And yes, the older Blossoms meander back to their laptops to dig back in to their college work... but sometimes they still soak up a little Anne while they're eating.  

So, as the days are busy... as my goals for our routine change, ebb, and flow, we keep coming back to reading this winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!