Tuesday, June 11, 2024

An Aspiring Caricature Artist

Lately, I've been missing blogging.  Life gets so busy these days, that I don't always get to do the things that I want to do.  I understand that can be par for the course with the season of child-raising that we're in.  However, I've realized how much I benefit from writing about the things that we do and counting my blessings here.  

Last weekend, Blossom3 had her first craft show as a Caricature Artist.  It was a big stretch for her, considering she was originally planning on doing face paint - an art form that is a lot more forgiving for an amateur, in my opinion.  A month prior to the show, we found out that they already had a face paint artist there.  Could she do caricatures instead?  We decided together that she would complete two full caricatures per day and we would see where she stood in a week's time.  After only a week of practice, we could see that this was completely doable for her, so long as she continued to practice each day until show time.

She didn't originally feel like making that leap to do it.  Just like our other girls, we explained that 

sometimes you have to stretch a little.  

She loves art and this was her opportunity to stretch.  

Sometimes kids kinda want to do something but they'll balk because they are shying away from the work involved.  They'll also shy away because they're afraid.  Neither of those things are good reasons not to spread your wings to fly a little.  

Fear and laziness aren't great long-term habits or decision-makers.

My part was to evaluate each practice caricature piece and give feedback.  

I encouraged her to find helpful YouTube videos.  

I helped her compile resources that put tools in her hand for different face shapes and eye/nose/ears/mouth types.  

I made sure she had the right markers and such.  

I helped her problem-solve certain roadblocks she was encountering.  

We came up with a creative business model that lessened the pressure on her.

Ultimately, she still needed to practice, practice, practice, and then draw the caricatures all day long.  

I don't throw the girls into a deep end without making sure they can swim and they know how to swim.  I'm here for every part of the process, but the Rugged Mountain Man and I felt that not jumping in, wasn't an option.  

She rose to the occasion!  She sat there, like a seasoned artist, chatting and smiling as people watched her work and she cranked out twenty-five fabulously creative caricatures!  I am so thankful that she could encounter this victory!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!