Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Truly, What is Rest?

Having recently returned from a week of vacation after a jam-packed summer, I was pondering true rest.

Rarely do we have fully restful circumstances.  I do well when I remember this.  Even planning for annual vacations still require oodles of packing, countless loose ends to tie up and once you actually arrive at your destination, who knows what will go right or wrong. 

Will the weather cooperate?  Will you remember everything necessary?  Will your kids get sick?  Will things explode at work?  Will something happen in your extended family? 

Yes, many times those things just go wonky.  Does that mean I can't rest? 

Nope. 

That's what came to me.  

Circumstances don't have to be perfectly restful for me to rest.  


Rest has more to do with me trusting God. 

Rest has more to do with my attitude of not letting the everyday details of living in this world determine my level of happiness. 

Rest has more to do with choosing to be happy and content in the good that I see every day in our life. 

Rest is really more of a choice, than an experience. 

Rest is more about me walking with God and letting the things that are big to Him, be big to me and letting the things that are small to Him, be small to me. 

Rest is more about counting my blessings and letting tomorrow take care of itself. 

Yes, I had that kind of rest on vacation.