Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Wednesday Lately

It's been a busy week around here.  The slower holiday snowstorm weekend was just what we needed.  

The girls had their annual 4-H presentations.  I'm always glad when we have that out of the way.  Their topics are interesting and sometimes a bit amusing.  They get to choose, but I have veto power.  

I must say, there isn't much that's cuter than a pixie eight year old Blossom4 standing in front of everyone talking about Jeeps.  

I enjoyed Blossom3's observations on the differences between hatchery chicks and hen-raised chicks. 

Blossom2 tackled the regulations of selling home raised meat and eggs.

Blossom1 spoke persuasively on the long term benefits of reading classics.

They all showed progress in their speeches this year.  That's all I want.  I measure them against themselves and I want to see their best work on their projects!

After the presentations were over, Blossom1, the club president, also had to run the meeting, while Blossom2 took care of her secretarial duties.  It was a great meeting, I'm happy to say.  I hope we have more productive meetings like that.  There's something invigorating in watching twenty kids get excited about affecting change in their fair and community.  My new motto is MOBILIZE.  I hope I can help them make their ideas come to fruition, even though the results don't always look like what I imagined.  It's not my club though, I'm just a facilitator.

This week, I'm also preparing for the State Fair Queen convention.  It's a fairly new endeavor for me to be spear-heading our county program, instead of just assisting as I did before.  Secretly, I think they wanted me on board because I have four girls and maybe that would mean built-in contestants in future years.  I'm looking forward to the convention and I'm hoping to gain insight in how to improve our program.  

Maybe these opportunities don't seem like your average Christian outreach, but we can't look at life like that.  I follow God's leading through all the doors He opens for me.  

A young woman asked me to be on the fair queen committee a couple of years ago.  It caught me totally by surprise.  It just wasn't something I was previously interested in.  I asked lots of questions and realized through it that 

Christians need to shine their lights everywhere, 

in all our interactions with people of all ages.  

Work with the county fair queen program seems to fall right in light with that vision.  Now, when God opens a door, I've learned to walk through it.

Jake and Rory are a little unnerved that I'm getting ready to go somewhere.  I took advantage of the warmer weather today and gave them baths.  It's a highly entertaining process... for the neighbors.  Seriously, I think it resembles something between Cinderella and WWF.  Nonetheless, the rewards are worth the self humiliation.  Plus, I can count it as a workout.

Meanwhile, Tom is basking in his daytime naps, thanking his Creator that cats are far superior and clean themselves.  Since he still slays mice in the nighttime hours, I'll forgive him his superior attitude.


Keep your eyes open, friend.  What doors does God want you to walk through today?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!