Thursday, December 22, 2022

A Christmas Carol

On the way back home from a quiz match at the beginning of November, I hit a massive deer a half mile from home.  The darn thing had the nerve to get up and walk away, despite the $5500 of damage he did to my van.  Regrettably, I got neither RACK nor MEAT out of the arrangement.

Thankfully, I've been driving a nice rental since then while the body shop does its magical thing.  

We were scheduled to attend A Christmas Carol last night and I just really wanted to go altogether, in ONE vehicle.  It's so much more fun that way.  I prayed that my van would be done in time.  It's been a month and a half, after all.

Friday was a busy day of school, groceries, errands and more.  We needed to head out between 5:30 and 5:45 pm and we were all doing our part to make it happen.  The getting out the door, somewhat organized chaos was in full swing.  Festive, sparkly outfits were being donned.  Christmas earrings were being carefully chosen.  I was dressed and supper was in the oven, when the phone rang at 4:30 pm. 

My van was done!!!

The Rugged Mountain Man is not a rush around type of person.  He had just walked in the door from his tiring workday and long commute, so he tried to convince me to pick up the van in the morning.  I was trying to have a good attitude because I doubt I'd feel like jumping in the car again.

But, honey, I prayed.

We made it to the body shop in time and back to the house and were walking out the door to all climb into the van at 5:35 pm.  Thank You, Lord!  

We chatted all the way there, joking and laughing together.  

A Christmas Carol was a fantastic festive night together!  Friends performed exquisitely in a charming, Victorian era church that satisfied my love of architecture.  There was an Emma-esque dance scene that had me gripping the wooden pew to stay in my seat rather than spontaneously joining the gaiety.  I savored the details of all the costuming.  The capes and hats and laces!

I'd never focused much on Ebenezer's loss of his sister.  I liked that this aspect factored into how he became so Scroogey.  

Dickens' timeless story of a true change of heart is a Christmas mainstay for us. 

Twas an evening of festivities and fellowship with good friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!