Friday, January 19, 2018

The Gift That Does Not Keep on Giving

I'm a big fan of getting our hands dirty while learning stuff, which is ironic, 
considering I'm not a big fan of messes.


Maybe I should clarify; I don't like the kind of messes that "keep on giving."


Like play dough!  No matter how hard I try to corral it, 
it invades my house and shows up in the cuffs of my skinny jeans. (????)  


However, when my brother announced at the end of Christmas gift-opening, that he and his lovely Eryn had purchased all the supplies for magnetic slime, I was just as excited as the Blossoms were.  


Though I was trying to be kinda "adult" about it.  

Sorta.


Apparently, this particularly concoction is made up of liquid starch, Elmer's glue and iron oxide.  


It can also stain clothing, so we put everybody in t-shirts and got right down to our magnetic slime business.  

It was not difficult to clean up.  The table wiped clean when we were done and I haven't had any trouble with staining their clothing.  Go figure.



The best way to make this slime work is mix the ingredients with a plastic knife and then, dig your hands in and squish it.  


And then, squish it some more.



And throw in a healthy dose of stretching too.


Perhaps you can plop it a bit.


Then, definitely go back to squishing it.  We found that to be the most effective method.


Uncle Zach decided that the only thing cooler than magnetic slime was GLITTERY magnetic slime.


He doused that slime with enough glitter to adequately protect his position forever as World's Coolest Uncle.  

We were a bit disappointed that this slime wasn't as strongly magnetic as we were hoping, though it definitely demonstrated magnetic properties.  

I was pretty sure the glitter made up for the weak magnetism.


The Blossoms didn't seem disappointed at all.  Blossom4 played with her slime again that night when we got home... at about 10:00 at night.  

She's the girlie who loves hand held concoctions.  


She was just coming off a streak of homemade peppermint play dough (what was I thinking???) 


but I must say, slime is welcome here any day.  
It doesn't sprout legs and follow you around the house.

Dominique