Friday, April 6, 2018

Take a Hard Look at Your Parameters... In the Kitchen

My sister, Naomi, and I often bounce menu ideas off of each other.  Whether we're planning a birthday party, deciding what to bring to a family lunch or throwing together a playdate snack, we like to use each other's creativity and store of kitchen experience to come up with the perfect dishes for those gatherings.  Occasionally we find ourselves frustrated and because of that, we've come up with a saying, "Adjust your parameters."  

My parameters usually look a bit like this:

Sometimes I really need to make finger food!
Sometimes I've really got my eye on what doesn't cost very much!
Sometimes I need kid-friendly food!
Sometimes I really want to use a specific ingredient in the pantry!
Sometimes I would like to make something for the members of our homeschool co-op with special dietary restrictions to enjoy without feeling left out of the festivities!
Sometimes I'm hoping to make someone feel special by making their favorite!
Sometimes I want to make something my husband is really hungry for!
Sometimes I need to make a casserole... that my children will eat!
Sometimes I require food that doesn't require a lot of last minute preparation!
Sometimes I want deep dark chocolate!
Sometimes I really want to try a recipe from Pinterest!
Sometimes I'm really crunched for time!
Sometimes I really do/don't want to make a brownie mix!
Sometimes I can't make a run to Wal-Mart!
Sometimes I want to make what the Blossoms have been asking for!
Sometimes I need something that can handle the two hour car ride to my in-laws!
Sometimes I would like something that is fine at room temperature!


(Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, 
in which I scrapped the healthy, dietary restriction friendly, try a new recipe parameters 
and embraced only the quick and colorful parameter.)

Naomi and I have put our heads together and realized that homemakers and mamas can rarely handle more than about two of the above parameters without really stressing over something like this.  And, most of us really don't have the brain space for trying to figure out a problem that complex in the time slot that we realistically have in our day for it.

This is my #momhack for the day:
Pick two or less parameters.  
Make it.  
Move on. 

Have a terrific weekend, my lovely friends!

Dominique