Friday, October 19, 2018

In Civics Class

Jumping off of Tuesday's post, I'm sharing little glimpses into the richness of our educational program... what I'm really doing though, is sharing the joys of our life.

When I was chatting with a friend the other day, she mentioned that her little Sprout's adoption was going to be finalized very soon.  Would we like to come and witness the proceeding in court?  Since the girls and I have known the little Sprout since he came to live with their family, I thought it would be neat to witness the proceeding.  Actually, I was THRILLED at the idea of watching and sharing such a huge moment with my friends! 

After I double-checked that this was definitely something the Blossoms were welcome at, it should be noted that the Rugged Mountain Man was also completely thrilled with the idea of the girlies witnessing civil proceedings firsthand! 

We researched appropriate courtroom attire and ventured out to the courthouse.  Through the metal detectors and up to the courtroom we trekked.  It was absolutely fascinating to observe the judge and his interaction with the adoptive family, staff, and lawyers. 

I was so pleased that the Blossoms were quiet and respectful in their behavior in the courtroom.  They listened and observed attentively.  At the end, as the judge was giving the final words, he publicly thanked my friends and called them a "true asset to our community."  What a great witness and what an amazing testimony!  His comments facilitated a good discussion in our van later.

Sharing this moment with our friends was the highlight of our week.  It was a front row seat in Civics class, but also a real life lesson in family diversity, compassion and living our faith.