Friday, March 15, 2024

See-It-Say-It

If there's any lesson I've learned about parenting teens, especially teen girls, it's to just say it... OUT LOUD.

There are times I notice something good one of the Blossoms has done.

There are times I see a glimmer of something good.

There are times I realize they've been working really hard.

There are times I recognize growth.

There are times I glimpse a character trait that we've invested toward for years, awaiting the harvest of day upon day of faithful parenting.

I'm busy though.   My brain moves on to the next thing. The thought flits away.  

Later on, I realize in a tearful conversation how badly one of the Blossoms needed to hear that one good thing.  

The impact is good when I finally say it.  
The impact is better when I vocalize that good thing before we hit the crying through a hard conversation point.  

It's a simple lesson.  When I see the good, SAY IT.  Say it OUT LOUD.

Arguably, this is a wise approach to parenting all ages.  It just seems particularly pertinent to parenting teens. 

See it and say it OUT LOUD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!