Friday, June 30, 2017

Just Bein' Kinda Choosy

Today, I'm sharing a few snapshots from our Memorial Day parade.  My parents drove the the girlies' 4H club float.  We even got to sit on the back of the truck and throw candy to all the locals.  It was so much fun, that I decided I want to throw candy every year!  Besides, we got to pick out all the good stuff and sample it to make sure it was "safe."  Good times!  


My heart is so full on this journey for joy.  The way the Lord has spoken to me and changed me over the last month has been like a breath of fresh air.  I feel like I've had a glimpse into the joy-filled life that God intends.  



When I try to sum it all up in one conversation, I walk away wondering what I really said and if I even managed to convey one-tenth of the good things that are happening in me.  Can I summarize it?  Can I give the ten second version?  Hardly, but I'll give a good shot at sharing some more with you anyway.



My dad used to remind me often that "you choose your attitude." 



Even though that was drilled into me at a young age, I still think maybe I needed an attitude adjustment in this area of late.  My attitude choices haven't been so great recently.  Motherhood is a like a giant minefield of ways to get grumpy, if you're not careful... or choosy.



Mamas, we really do choose our attitude. 

After a particularly busy day today, I strode through our home, reflecting on the Source of our joy.  It is an unspeakable joy, a joy full of glory, since it stems from so great a salvation.  



That's a joy that is dependent on nothing.  Yes, absolutely NOTHING.



I was "chewing" on this today.  


My joy doesn't come from a tidy home.  
My joy doesn't come from order.
My joy doesn't come from quiet.
My joy doesn't come from a good or decent night's sleep.
My joy doesn't come from kids who always behave.
My joy doesn't come from sunshine.



My joy doesn't come from green mountains and blue skies.
My joy doesn't come from being appreciated.
My joy doesn't come from being treasured.
My joy doesn't come from relaxation.
My joy doesn't come from good times.



My joy doesn't come from my to-do list being done.
My joy doesn't come from chocolate.  
My joy doesn't come from eating out.
My joy doesn't come from getting away.
My joy doesn't come from perfection.

My joy comes from Jesus.  



Most of the above things are good and right in their place, but that's not where my joy comes from.  

Because of where my joy comes from, I can choose joy at any moment and in any moment.  

When the whining starts, choose joy.

When the bickering is more confusing than ever, choose joy.



When you feel like all you do is "fetch things," choose joy.

When the stress increases, choose joy.  

Even amidst the million nothings and somethings that I do every day, during every circumstance and situation, I can be full of joy.  



Join me in making that good choice today, choosing the joy that Jesus made a way for, the joy that never fades, that transcends all circumstances.  Your joy.

Dominique

Check out other posts in this series:
Cry Out For It
About Those Bags