Friday, January 12, 2018

Back in the Routine

"How's it going as you settle back into your routine?" you might ask.

This is our second week back in the swing of things and the transition seems to be going well.  We dove with great vigor back into schoolwork on the second.  January third was the harder day that week, but we've navigated the bumps of adjusting rise/bed times for the most part by now.  

We're hunkering down for the latter half of the school year, enjoying new chapters of history and science studies.  I, for one, am relishing the plethora of science experiments that are paired with our unit on matter.  It's particularly adorable that four year old Blossom4 has to have an experiment worksheet to record observations on, just like everybody else.


It should be noted that we've tackled character issues throughout the entirety of the school year, including during Christmas break.  "Vacation" is not exempt from parenting in action.  Perhaps since I've come to realize that children are constant works in progress, just like me, it hasn't been bothering me nearly as much when we're chilling and I have to deal with a character issue in one of the Blossoms.  

I often find that I deal with character issues better and with a calmer, clearer mind when on vacation because I am far less distracted; I am juggling fewer responsibilities and demands.  

When we return to the routine, I tend to take that principle back with me.  Stop and deal with whatever the issue is instead reeling off commands rapid fire and telling the girlies to "just knock it off."  


Perhaps these are the glimmers that make transitions from vacation to routine worth the struggle. 

Dominique