Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A Chisel

Last Friday's post really got my wheels turning.  I think there's an attitude that lies in the farthest recesses of our hearts masquerading as Godly service.  


I've oft complained to my husband.  "I was a nice mommy today!"  

"I wasn't distracted all day!!!!"


"And they still didn't behave."

In those moments, and others that I experience, I ponder my motives.  

Was I present in this day because I was trying to treasure the little children, as Jesus would?  


Was I calm and patient because God lives in me and His love is patient?  

That's when I hear the whisper in my ear that says, "BEWARE."  

Beware?  


Yes, beware.  Beware of being good to your kids just so they notice.  Beware of being kind to your little and big people just so they will be "good."  Beware of serving your husband, just so he actually sees you.


BEWARE.  

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; 
otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 6:1, NASB


That part of motherhood and wifehood that feels like no one notices is maddening 
but it can be a blessing.  

It could be that invisibility is the very thing that is sanctifying to us.  
(Sanctification is the process of becoming more holy.)  


It could be the chisel that God uses to etch away our twisted motives and free in us 
love from a pure heart.  

Dominique

These are snapshots from our recent icy hike with dear family. You may remember these pristine falls from our jaunt there a year and a half ago.  That's when our truck broke down and God spared our lives on a quiet country back road.