Friday, January 5, 2018

When is the Last Time...

"When's the last time you did something for your husband?"

It was a thought that had been following me around all day.  Something just for him.  Something I premeditated.  Something I took time out of my day to do for him.  Something "unimportant" or maybe "important." Something meant just to bless him.

When?  

I couldn't remember and that bothered me.

I actually prayed, "Lord, show me something I can do for my husband."

Then, I did my usual forty thousand laps around the house throughout the course of my day.  And, I kept looking for something.

When it hit me, I had to grin to myself.

We heat our little home in the Hollow by burning wood.  There are obvious zones of our home that are colder than others, based on their proximity to the wood stove.  Our bathroom is one of them.  That bathroom is the one that the Rugged Mountain Man uses for his pit stop upon his arrival home from work each evening.  I decided to get the little space heater out and warm up the bathroom prior to his arrival.  

Later, as I wondered what he'd do when he saw the heater and basked in its warmth, I got to thinking about why we do things for our husbands.  I think it's pretty easy for wives to get hung up on doing something to see or hear your husband's reaction.  It can quickly become a complicated mass of emotions if he doesn't respond the way you were hoping.  Disappointment!  Hurt!  Offense!  I question my motive if I find those things bouncing around in me.  

Am I showing love to my husband to elicit a specific response?  Is that a pure motive?  

If my motive is love, just love, it doesn't matter if he thanks me out loud or simply feels a little more cared for than he did before or (gasp) doesn't notice at all.  Many men don't vocalize often.  Many men are busy to the point of distraction.  

(photo credit: Naomi Elle, my talented sister)

My point is that love is enough.  

Revel in the act of love that you performed.  Savor the fact that you blessed your husband.  Let it be all about love.  

Dominique