Friday, July 19, 2019

Life Lately - Summer

"What have you been up to lately" is a common conversational tool I use whenever I chat with people. 

What if you ask me that when I next bump into you at Walmart? 

We've been busy with our version of summer in the Hollow.

We've spent countless evenings wrapping up sewing projects.  Threads everywhere.  Sewing paraphernalia strewn throughout the dining room.  The circuits of my brain were fried by the end of each evening and yet, I was thankful for the skills the girls honed during it, and for the special memories the girls now have of sewing with Grandma and me. 

We have tallied hours of researching, taking pictures and compiling research for 4-H Fair posters... hours at the computer, at the dining room table, discussing how to break down the steps, sifting through notes, choosing what pictures to print, and making another Wal-Mart 1 hour photo stop.  I'm pretty pleased with the results thus far.  We'll see what the judges think in their upcoming interviews. 

We finished up 4-H books.  Thank goodness, we've been working on them all year, so they just needed the final touches, but still, it took time for me to make sure they had everything done and ready to turn into their 4-H leader.

The garden... it's a a never-ending project.  Weeding, harvesting, planting, researching... then processing the fruits of our labors.  I sure do wish those delicious veggies would just jump into my freezer on their own, but they don't.  We have to get them there.

Errands... Fair paperwork... buying feed... barn clean up... helping my sister out a little since she has a brand new squishy delicious baby.

And all the animals?  Who keeps them cool when it gets hot?  Who checks on them?  Who refills the water?  Who gives frozen water bottles to lean against?  And don't even get me started on the time it takes to care for them when they get sick.  I despise having sick animals.  It's draining on all sides, often with a sad ending anyway.

There's lots of music practicing that happens all summer long, and piano lessons too.  And band practice. Blossom1 and Blossom2 have a talented circle of friends, who are helping them grow musically.

The homestead needs so much upkeep - hours of weeding, mowing and cleaning.  We're all a part of daily keeping it running smoothly. 

We've been privileged to be a part of some really cool community service projects too.  Our church held a Family Fun Fest and we got to help make that happen, both with prep work and staffing it on the day of.  Watching Blossom3 and Blossom4 dole out popcorn and snow cones for kids in their community has to be one of my favorite memories this summer.  We also did a one day local mission trip that I told you about the other day. 

I'm a part of the Fair Queen committee.  I didn't realize what a fantastic opportunity it would be for me to influence the next generation of young ladies.  I really enjoy it... but it takes time too, especially right before the Fair.  Thankfully it's all coming together and I'm getting excited.

Oh and FUN.  Somehow, just like Christmas, mamas feel like they have to create magical seasonal memories... and still get everything else done.  We've managed to get to the pool often.  I'm super pleased with how Blossom3 and Blossom4 have progressed in their swimming skills.  We've enjoyed the cabin, getting away from technology and responsibilities.  The girls have spent lazy hours reading books or crafting.  We've managed to see Aladdin. The Lion King is on the docket for tomorrow. 

It's definitely summer here.  I'm thankful for this season, even if it's a whole lot of juggling and facilitating and balancing on my part. 

Oh yeah, and I caught a head cold this week.  Thank God I'm recovering quickly.