Tuesday, January 7, 2020

A Holiday Hike

I know how hard it is to get outside in the winter.  


At least, I think I know... but I wonder why I let myself think it's that hard.  I've already shared my Layers Guide and that's really helped us around here.  The weather has been mostly mild these days, so getting outside is more about making myself get up and walk out the door... 
and enforce the Layers Guide. 

(I realize a mom of littles wonders if 30 minutes of monkey wrestling is worth the inevitable 30 minutes of whining about the cold that will follow.  I'm looking straight at my younger self and saying that the vitamin D will be worth it, for them AND for you.)


The Rugged Mountain Man mentioned that he wanted to do some scouting and get the dogs out.  Jake and Rory tend to fall down the priorities list over hunting season.  I'm busy managing the Blossoms and the homestead. The Rugged Mountain Man is juggling hunting, processing meat, work piling up at his day job AND around home. 

 

Plus, throw in all of the holiday hustle, bustle, details and festivities and our canine crew is RARIN' to go here... early and always.  


I declared that we'd join him.  

You'd think being a hunting family, I'd remember to wear the orange, but I had to prance back inside to gather up the mandatory orange.  Better safe than sorry.

(Zoom in, Rory has an affinity for jumping.)

It was only about 1.5 hour jaunt.  For the second half, there wasn't even a trail.  Yes, there was some whining from the Blossoms.  This is a real family, after all.


We just keep going, with reminders to stop complaining and look around.


Eventually, the satisfaction of a misty mountain view eclipses whatever made whining seems so essential in the mind of our youngsters.


I'm looking at the New Year, hoping to do more of this.

Dominique