Friday, April 3, 2020

In the Garden Together

In times like these, we rely more heavily on one another to share acquired knowledge.


I hardly consider myself a gardening expert.  I'd hold that position for my dear friend, Dianna.

However, I am happy to share a little bit of what works for us.  In light of the troubling times, I'm getting lots of questions about gardening, so here's what we've been doing in this PA hollow lately.


~ We do raised bed gardening, mainly because I like it.  Deep philosophical reasoning, isn't it?  It doesn't take a lot of roto-tilling at all.  (Click here for a snapshot of what it looks like.)  In fact, we only roto-tilled the walkways this year, in order to keep the weeds down.  The beds just got raked til they were level.  They're looking spiffy, due to all the "bunny berries" that were dumped on them throughout the winter.  If you're just planting a small area near your house, just make sure your soil is broken up.  A hoe or shovel and some elbow grease should work for that.


~ I have planted lettuce, spinach and sugar snap pea seeds directly in the ground.  I continue planting lettuce and spinach every few weeks or so in order to keep it coming in regularly.  I use a very scientific method; it's called, "I plant another wave when I remember."  This "wave" method is better than one big crop of leafy stuff.  Kale, brussels, arugula and beets can go in now also.


~ We have planted onion sets directly in the soil.  Onion sets look like baby onions.  Our greenhouse carries them.

~ Cauliflower and cabbage plants (the cold tolerant plants) can go directly in the ground now.  Broccoli and kohlrabi can go in also.


~ The greenhouses are still open and considered essential thus far because they are a way of providing dependable food supply.

Long live the victory garden! 

In about a week and a half, Lord willing, I'll drop in the greenhouse and pick up tomato and pepper plants.  I'll harden them and get them planted.  They, like my friend Janice, are not fans of the cold  weather.

Well, that's how we roll here on our humble micro farm.

Stay well and stay calm, my friends.

Dominique

Here are a few more tips for gardening season.