Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Harden Your Plants

This post was actually written last spring.  However, due to real life, I never got around to publishing it.  It seems more applicable now, when we're prepping for another planting season and the garden is looking like a beautiful blank slate.

  
Yesterday, I really enjoyed venturing out with the Blossoms into the garden.  I was astonished that the task of planting the garden, which had been hanging over my head, really didn't take long at all.  

The girlies have went from being "helpful," to be being real helpers!  (gasp!)
(This seems to be a theme around here lately, much to my and the Rugged Mountain Man's delight.)

I hear mamas of "Bigs" who train their kids to work keep telling the mamas of "Littles" to hang in there.  They say to keep teaching your children to work.  

They're right; it really does pay off (eventually).  

As for gardening, in some ways, you could still call us rookies, just like I am still a rookie mama in many ways.  My 11 years of mama experience pale in comparison to my mom's 36 years of experience!  

I was thinking of one trick that has really upped our garden success rate and helped me shed more of my rookie uncertainty and frustration.  

You gotta take the time to "harden" your plants 
before you plant them.

Say what?

I usually stop by my local Amish greenhouse and load up on all the beautiful green plants, but I rarely trek them home and plant them on the same day.  Instead, I plan to plant them about 4+ days later.  I use those next few days for "hardening."  

The plants are kept inside the garage or basement at night.  In the morning, they are moved to a shady porch.  Some folks get creative by putting them under an umbrella or picnic table; use what you have to keep them from getting harsh, direct sunlight all day!  The plants sit out all day in the delicious springtime air, getting gentle sunlight and being watered by my minions ~ oops, I mean Blossoms.  Then, the plants are taken back inside at dusk.  This is done each day until we're ready to plant.  

This hardening really seems to lessen the greenhouse-to-garden shock that is evident after immediate planting.  You know the look; like my weak and wilty plants are struggling to survive!  

This also allows you to buy your plants a little earlier before the greenhouses are out of your favorite plants, not that that has ever happened to me or anything.

I'm grateful that a friend shared this info with the Rugged Mountain Man several years ago. I latch on to tips of every day wisdom, wherever I find them.

Happy gardening and child rearing!  They really do go hand in hand.

Dominique
#gardenhack #rusticlifehack