Monday, March 5, 2018

The Burdens

Lately it seems that various friends have had days fraught with pain, sadness, uncertainty and even tragedy.  I've been feeling like my hands are tied.  I pray.  I text.  I hug.  I ask.  I reach out.  What else can I do?


I've been thinking about bearing burdens.  It brings to mind a picture of both friends under a huge sack of feed, whilst trudging together.

Maybe bearing burdens is simply bearing the sadness together.  

Feeling the pain with them.
Being in it together.
Not scoffing at their difficulties.
Realizing that their days are hard.
Offering grace in their struggles.
Refusing to fall back on empty platitudes.
Pointing gently to the Everlasting Hope.


Perhaps bearing burdens is the action 
of "weeping with those who weep."  

Bearing burdens might be as simple as being there and feeling the sadness too.  

Let's slow down and bear burdens together.


Dominique


The first snapshot was taken by Blossom1, out the van window, while running errands on Friday.  By afternoon, the snow had disappeared from all other surfaces, except in between these two peaks, in what the Rugged Mountain Man calls "the Gap of Rohan."  The second snapshot was taken as I stepped from my vehicle to attend a meeting at a friend's house on Saturday morning.  The fresh beauty of the morning light on their hillside caused joy to simmer in my soul.