Tuesday, December 22, 2020

füttere die Kälber

One of the few German phrases my Dad remembers from his upbringing on the family organic dairy farm is "füttere die Kälber," 

which means "feed the calves."


In my childhood, this was one of my favorite chores to help with when we visited the family farm.


It's only fitting that the Blossoms could pitch in a little when we were visiting.  


After all, I toted their muck boots all the way to Wisconsin, just for this.


We explored the farm and


played in the haymow, just like my brothers and sisters and I used to.


I told them stories of eating cookies in the silo.


I told them how we used to herd the pigs, until we learned that is a bad idea. 
(Pigs don't sweat; they just keel over.)


I told them about our high jinks and our wholesome fun.


Twas truly memorable.

Dominique



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!