Tuesday, March 2, 2021

There Are No Parenting Hacks

There's something about parenting that our human nature mistakenly believes.  

We want the parenting quick fix.  

"Tell me how to solve _____ in my child."

"Tell me what to say when they _______."  

"What do you do when they _____?"

Over the last fifteen years, I am increasingly convinced that there isn't a single shot solution.  

We think we can become better parents if we just knew exactly what to say or exactly what *should* be done in our child's particular character struggle.  

This thought process has deceived me time and time again.  I just want the issue solved!!!  I would be a better parent, if I just said the right thing!

Parenting in a way that trains our children in His Way is more about a long, slow, loving journey together.  It's loving them by choosing the best, albeit, hard things for them.  It's addressing sin, when they don't understand it's sin.  It's about teaching unselfish love, when they'd rather be selfish.  It's about helping them choose right, when they'd naturally choose wrong.  Our fallen human nature finds the wrong, the selfishness, so easy to indulge in.  

We are teaching them right from wrong before they understand why something is right and why something is wrong.  We are steering the formation and development of their consciences.  This teaching and steering seems more to me about consistently and Biblically addressing behavior that is sinful in God's sight, unacceptable for the unity of the home and undermining the promotion of a peaceful family life.  

We teach them it's wrong, so their own consciences can eventually by the grace of God show them it's wrong.  

There is nothing I can say or do that will instantly fix my child's character issue.  There isn't a phrase that will fix it, but there are consistent, loving, prayerful, Biblical words we can share, actions we can take, and decisions that we can make to make an eternal impact on their lives. 

We must pray faithfully over our children's souls, that our loving long-term training will yield an eternal harvest. Won't you join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!