Friday, July 13, 2018

Walking in that Horrid Land

I've been thinking about exhausted mamas lately. How did we get that way? Why are we weary? Can we identify trends so we don't end up frequently in that horrid land of exhaustion?

I've identified the three areas that most commonly have landed me in a state of weariness.

I often find myself weary when I have not made it a priority to feed my Spirit, when I have not prioritized life-giving time with my God.  



Every morning lean thine arms awhile
Upon the windowsill of heaven
And gaze upon thy Lord.
Then, with the vision in thy heart,
Turn strong to meet thy day.
~author unknown

Only when we have communed with our Lord can we then "turn strong" to meet our day.  We are doing Heavenly work every day, mamas.  We're leading little hearts, molding character and training up little big people.  We're serving our husband.  We're helping.  We're loving.  We're encouraging.  It's Kingdom work, but we can't give from empty tanks.  

If I met an exhausted mama today, I'd hug her and whisper, "FEED YO'SELF" in my best gangtsa accent.



In my weariest spells, if I could peek in on what my spirit looked like, I bet I let myself become a malnourished, weak third world creature... all because I let all the big and loud demands of life here on Earth keep me from feeding my spirit.  FEED YO'SELF.

The fuel of grace is glorious.

When I find myself exhausted, I often realize that I haven't been passing enough work on to my children.   



Mamas, our kids can do A LOT. If you have any doubt, just ask your dairy farm-raised dad or neighbor what they were doing at age eight.  Our kids can do that, if we make them.  It's hard and exhausting in the beginning, which I realize is ironic in a post about weariness, but in the long run, your dogged determination standing over their shoulder will turn out kids that shoulder their load and herego, lighten yours.  


You'll get guff.  You'll hear whining.  You might see rebellious attitudes, but we discipline and keep right on going.  What I mean is, we discipline for not working and then we work some more.  Don't give up.  

Just because the little girls set up a howl over having to unload and load the dishwasher all by themselves doesn't mean we stop.  We correct the whining.  We send them back in.  We discipline.  We remind.  We discipline.  We stay there and supervise.  We micro-manage, if needed.  It takes five  times as long as if Mama does it (right now), but they'll get it.  


I often find myself all worn out when I prioritize "me" time over going to bed early. 

Mamas, I love that little snatch of silence in the evening after the Blossoms go to bed.  It's a calm time and I enjoy it.  It's also a fantastic time to catch up with the Rugged Mountain Man, but we need to GO TO BED.  I love to spend time on Shutterfly.  I enjoy wandering over Pinterest.  I adore reading.  But we need to GO TO BED.  

Nice mamas go to bed at a decent time.  

Ben Franklin knew what he was talking about when he said, "Early to bed..."


Most importantly, if you're in a bad place right now, please don't feel condemned and please don't trudge on alone.  Reach out to me or to someone else who cares and let us be the shoulder that helps you carry on.  I've walked countless days where someone's simple word of encouragement to keep God first, to rest a little or to keep diligently teaching was the word that I needed to persevere that day. 

Take heart and take hope, friend.  His grace is more than enough for us.

Dominique

All snapshots from a recent family wedding at a historic barn.  Yes, I wore my red cowboy boots to that wedding.  It just seemed right.