Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Music Room!

Blossom2 wanted to take a before picture.  I would rather not, as our basement is quite the utility storage area.  We do not have an attic.  Alas, Blossom2 snapped them and in the interest of real life, I feel I must share  ~ embarrassing though it may be.


Our basement houses our freezers, all the accoutrements for burning wood in our wood stove, homestead work gear, toys that are currently out of rotation, coats that are waiting to be grown into, scads of homeschool materials and records, and items on their way to be donated or disposed of.


What possessed me to tackle this???!!!!

Blossom1 has started accepting new piano students! I knew she would need a space to teach without disturbing the rest of the household rhythm, as well as the Rugged Mountain Man's work day.  

Additionally, all of the Blossoms are growing in their musical pursuits.  I knew they would enjoy and often utilize a music room.  


There were so many evenings I would go down to the basement and stand and stare.  I had no idea where to start.  It wasn't like the organizing shows were I could empty the room into the yard and then get it done in one shot.  The accumulation of dust from years of enjoying wood heat was enough to make me want to quit before I'd even begun.

I prepared myself to complete this project in the evenings or little snatches of time over several weeks. Much as I prefer to tackle and complete a project in one fell swoop, it's simply not practical for us and our schedule most days. 


We focused on cleaning as we went, wiping down walls, using the shop vac on the entire "delightful" popcorn ceiling and wearing out magic eraser after magic eraser.  The Blossoms were truly a force to be reckoned with.  Let me tell you, a good cleaning is as effective as a coat of paint!

We purged along the way.  I took loads to the thrift store as often as I could, so that we weren't tempted to change our minds on things we were willing to let go of.  We also took a load of junk to the landfill after we completed this project.  It was long overdue and boy, did it feel good!


I gradually relocated items and focused on making room for the piano.  That was the first big piece of the puzzle.  Once the piano was in, I worked on making way for the keyboard and drums.  As I tackled each area, it slowly took shape.  Eventually, we were able to move on to decorating.  Some records from the Rugged Mountain Man's childhood now double as trendy wall art.  


Perhaps you'll recognize some of our favorite Kinkade puzzles from these posts.  The Blossoms and I are loving the dramatic effect of all the princess pieces altogether.



Blossom1 and Blossom2 learned how to use the stud finder and mounted these inexpensive guitar hooks for the mandolin, guitar, and ukulele.


I searched for a low cost, yet fun BRIGHT light for the cathedral ceiling area.  This rustic industrial cage light was a steal for ten bucks.  I'm leaving a great review because I'm so tickled with it! With the vintage Edison bulbs, it's pretty sweet and banishes that dingy basement feeling that plagued this area for so long.


We did drop cloth curtains in here.  You can't beat ten bucks for each 6x9 ft. panel!  I spray painted old curtain rods as we were really going for a budget kind of makeover.  The curtains also add a surprising amount of sound deadening.  I find sliding or folding closet doors so annoying, so these are a great option for hiding gear we still need quick access to and cutting back on the noise.


We hung several layers of a black felt banner behind the keyboard for a fun decoration and for more sound deadening.  Initially, I was going to paint a quote on the felt, per some Pinterest inspiration.  However, everyone here has a different opinion on what music quote would work best, so I picked one and chalked it on.  Now, they can change the quote whenever they want.  They can also have their friends sign it and write fun comments on it.  


This station will house a Keurig, once it comes this week.  I can't tell you how many times I've meant to grab a cup of tea before we head to piano lesson and I've forgotten it in my rush to marshal my troops out the door.  This way, piano student parents can take a breather on the couch and have a hot cuppa while they wait.  The Blossoms are also really looking forward to disappearing down here with friends.  Tea and hot chocolate are great for those sorts of hang out times!


The table needed to stay, since we use it for various and sundry homestead projects.  Additionally, since many of Blossom1's students come from homeschool families, it's not uncommon for a student's siblings to need a place to do schoolwork while they wait.  The Blossoms thought they might like to play board games down here as well.  Yes, there is storage underneath.  That stuff had to stay, so that's where it is... for now. The denim table covering is tough and totally works for me.


We are totally thrilled with our new space!

AND, the Blossoms were practicing piano when the Rugged Mountain Man was on a conference call the other day.  He never even noticed.  Now, THAT'S success.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!