Friday, August 17, 2018

Creekside Company & Critters

It isn't deep and it isn't huge, but "our" creek is a blessing to us.  


They're always armed with goggles and floats and whatnot, even though it isn't much deeper than 24 inches.  Who am I to argue when I don't have to carry it?!  I tote my chair down there and get comfy with my feet in the water and my ears attuned to the soothing sounds of water rushing and kids happily playing.


Even "extras" like the creek!


And lately, we've enjoyed some of the fabulous critters nearby.  We named this dragonfly "Azul" for obvious reasons.  


Oh the excitement over this monstrous crawfish!!!  We haven't seen a crawfish in the creek in ages, so we took this one as a sign that our creek is getting healthier.  After a full inspection, we put him back.


When checking the creek water levels today, we found this gem.


It's a black and yellow argiope!  Honestly, we were just thrilled to be able to use our new spider field guide!  What brilliant colors!!


And on the way back, guess what the Blossoms discovered are ready?  The touch-me-nots!!!


Touch-me-nots are also known as jewelweed, the antidote to poison ivy.  Though some have argued that it might not truly be, I still rub the leaves on myself if I feel itchy in the woods.  I figure, what do I have to lose?!  


Touch-me-nots are country girl fun ~ tiny seed pods that explode when you touch them!  

I love that creeks are free entertainment AND education!