Tuesday, August 28, 2018

When Your Mom Gives You a Book...

Not long ago, Mom handed me Seated with Christ; Living Freely in a Culture of Comparison by Heather Holleman.  She excitedly shared that she'd heard Heather speak and as a result, bought a whole stack of books to share with family and friends.  That's code for:

It must be a really great message that Mom feels would touch the hearts of those she loves.

So, when your mom gives you a book, you read it.  

Even if you don't think you really struggle a whole lot with comparison.

Even if you read chapter one and it doesn't thoroughly and immediately resonate.


The thing is, I had a solid, loving upbringing.  I just didn't struggle with comparison to the degree that Heather did as she shares her heart.

However, I do know that comparison is a big problem in our culture and living for Jesus is so counter-cultural, I'm willing to devour anything that helps me swim upstream every day.  I need that in my spiritual diet. I found that the truth that set Heather free was something every Christian needs to grasp, whether or not they struggle with comparison.

So, when your mom gives you a book, you read it.

Is it surprising that Mom just knows best, because I'm so glad I kept reading! 


What a fantastically solid doctrinal book!  How encouraging it is to any believer in any stage of their walk with Christ!  Its application stretches far beyond just struggling with comparison.

What Jesus has done for us changes our outlook over everything!

"And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the Heavenly realms in Christ Jesus."
Ephesians 2:6

We are seated with Christ.  This can be likened to knights around a table, in service to the king.  When we join the family of God, we come to the table, to a seat that He made for us.  No one's worried about another person's seat.  We know our importance and value and we know we each have an important seat.  We don't have to fight for it.  We don't have to be jealous over it.  He gave it to us.  Now we can get busy doing the King's business.

Being seated with Christ is like "a declaration of who I am in the heavenly realms."

It's like knowing and living from that heart knowledge.


Friend, when we know who we are and where we stand with God, we are secure in a way that is not shaken by this life.  When we're free of thinking someone else is better or more important than our part in God's kingdom, we're more usable to Him.

Heather takes these thoughts and brings the application home in these four questions - questions that God used to deeply penetrate my heart afresh.

1. "Is knowing Jesus better than anything?"
2. "Will I live the life God asks me to?"
3. "Is there anything in my life that doesn't please God?"
4. "Am I available to be God's spokesperson?"


We must bare our heart to Him and let Him lay His finger on things that must be dealt with.

"It's because I want to continue to allow God to shape me into a woman who's more and more like Jesus."  That's why this book was so worthwhile.

Grab a copy today!  Her stories will draw you in and its rock solid message will build you up.

Dominique

All direct quotes are from Heather's book.  

Today's pics are from a jaunt in the woods with a friend of mine and a few of her brood.  It was a mere snapshot of a special day with her.  The fellowship was exquisite as we reveled in serving Jesus as mamas in this world.  The pics were as inspiring as this book was, which is why I thought they belonged together.  

And, thanks, Mom.