Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Leaving It Behind

We have friends who are ministering in Liberia.  We met them when they were our neighbors, only a mile or two down the road.  They eventually sold everything and did some cross country ministry stints before heading to Liberia for more longer term missions work.  It's been fascinating and inspiring to witness this firsthand.  

The Blossoms worked through the sadness of not seeing friends often anymore, but, I must say, technology is such an amazing thing.  Video chat isn't just for the Jetsons!  The girls have enjoyed keeping in touch that way.  Then, in Liberia, with the internet connection being sketchy, they've reverted to "old-fashioned" email and sharing photos and videos.  

Seeing the Blossoms crowded around the computer, grinning and reading emails and watching the videos has blessed me.  Deeper though, I find myself so thankful at how much their friends share.  A child's perspective of poverty and the work to be done is poignant.  It is simple.  It is straightforward.  It is brutally honest.  Their hearts to serve and do something about the problems are precious.

I'm marveling at the opportunity right here in the Blossoms' lives for the girls to leave small-mindedness behind.  

I don't want to be a small-minded Christian that is merely worried about daily first world niceties.  I want the Blossoms to have that bigger perspective.  I want it and I want to facilitate it here.

As the girls hear about malaria, poverty and simple missionary living, I'm reveling in gratitude at one more opportunity to see the world outside of ours.  

Dominique