Friday, June 7, 2019

To the Mountains, I Say

I had the opportunity to get away with a few friends to a swell little gem of a cabin up north.  


It was exceedingly cozy and possessed all the essential mountain cabin qualities ~ screened in porch, comfortable couches, nostalgic bunk beds, patriotic flags and exquisite dusky forest symphonies.


We took a walk one morning, breathing deeply of the fresh air and enjoying the scenery.


Mountain streams are inviting and sing their own kind of song, 
the kind I like to let wash over my soul.


Maybe we didn't stop talking the whole weekend, but we did stop long enough for me to show some ridiculous excitement about these Jack in the Pulpits.


I was told as a child that they were rare, so I've kept my eye out for them in the woods.


Perhaps they are not so rare these days, but I was thrilled just the same to finally sight them.  Their stately stripes and tubular flowers are the most unique wildflower I've ever seen.


Later, we stopped talking long enough to decide to drive up to a set of beautiful waterfalls.  I'd never seen them before, but have heard the local legend lore.


The chutes were impressive.


We could hardly call it a hike, as we jumped in and out of my friend's capable truck.




There were special moments of gazing upon God's handiwork,


drinking in the beauty


and soaking in the splendor of the rocks, the water and the delicious mountain stream air.


I was also childishly thrilled when we saw a random fisherman reel in a native trout.  


Apparently, this place isn't just good for swimming and sightseeing, there's good fishing too!


Our conversations meandered as much as we did.


From curriculum, to concerns, to church, to teenagers, to self care, we talked about it all.


We cherished this gem of a weekend,


hardly able to tear ourselves away when departure times neared.


As mamas, we take our fellowship in co-op homeroom, under pavilions at the park, running into each other on busy errand days, snatching hugs when we see each other unexpectedly,


but this concentrated time of getting away to be refreshed was a jewel for my year.  

Maybe next year we'll be at my cabin, 
but I'm not gonna complain if my friend invites us back to her beaut.