Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Thrifting Tips for all my Busy People!

Thrifting is a perpetual treasure hunt.  I rarely find exactly what I'm looking for at the exact moment I want it, but I frequently find useful or classy things that save us money in the long run.  Keep in mind though, these finds are spread out over years of thrifting.

I do often leave a thrift store empty handed.  

#1 ~ Prep yourself that you might not find anything.
I remind myself that I'm there for useful, quality and classy items.  If I don't find those or they aren't in my acceptable price range, I don't buy anything.  I'm not just going in for retail therapy.

#2 ~ Check what you need or what you will need soon.
If I know my husband needs cargo shorts, I check the men's shorts section.  If I know Blossom1 could use some dresses, I check the dresses, but I'm prepared to find those things over a quick stop at Goodwill here or a last minute post-library stop at the Salvation Army store there.

Rarely do I have time for a full store overhaul.  

Short trips make me feel like I haven't wasted time.

#3 ~ Check your size or your favorite colors.
Different thrift stores organize things differently.  I quickly rifle through my favorite colors, which are jewel tones and pick from those, OR I find my size and start a quick search there, based on patterns and materials that always catch me eye... like denim or nautical navy blue and white stripes.

#5 ~ Check what matches your family's lifestyle and interests.  
The Rugged Mountain Man loves taking the girls hunting, but that's a lot of gear over the growing years.  I now know to watch out for mandatory orange items and camouflage items.  I also know that the girls need Carhart-type work clothes and coats for chores, so I automatically check anything that looks like it might be suitable for those things.

What that means is, I walk quickly down an aisle, alertly perusing the contents, only stopping for something that catches my eye.  I also stick my army on it.

"Keep your eyes out for __________, girls!"

They do a great job!

Favorite Thrift Store Finds
(some of my favorite thrift store finds over the years)

#5 ~ Feel things.
The Rugged Mountain Man likes quality wool pieces and I like leather, so I brush through the coat or sweater aisle and "feel things."  Often, that's how I know to stop and check tags and sizes.

Sometimes I walk in and check ONE section... that's it!

Thrifting isn't a one time event.  In fact, some of my least successful trips are when I stop once, thinking I'm going to find all the stuff I need.  Just pop in here and there and take a gander around the store!


Dominique