Tuesday, October 29, 2019

With All That Energy

On the hardest days as a young mommy, when I'd make the SOS phone call to my husband, he'd respond without fail with "Take them OUTSIDE."

It wasn't my favorite piece of advice when I was overwhelmed, trying to get something done, and on the verge of tears, but he was usually right.  I'd begrudgingly marshal the forces and get them outside.  Inevitably, things would somehow improve.

Recently, Blossom3 and Blossom4 were fighting like two alpha male dogs battling for dominance of a coveted neighborhood.  We'd already had a long day and I was trying to accomplish some things after being away for co-op and gym class.


OH THE BICKERING.  I kept trying to get to the heart of the matter, teaching kindness and forbearance and yet, it continued.  There was no logic.  It fell out of every conversation and interaction.  It was head-scratching, confusing, mind-boggling meanness.

The Rugged Mountain Man arrived home and announced that he was going to be scouting for deer.  He wanted to know which girls were going along.

Through gritted teeth, I said, "The littles are going; they NEED it."  They weren't thrilled about it.  They didn't feel like going for a walk, which they know really means a hike in the Rugged Mountain Man's vocabulary.

Alas, they went and returned, totally changed children.

SERIOUSLY.


The bickering was over.  They calmly played and entertained themselves.  The difference was vastly obvious to me.

This has got me thinking about my experience with pent up energy and its negative effect on children's obedience and tolerance level over the last fourteen years of parenting.

I am not excusing disobedience and meanness.  Not at all!  Their entire childhood is a training time, with steady progress toward good character being one of my biggest goals for and investment in the Blossoms.

Yet, they are immature people that sometimes struggle within themselves.  They are learning how to tell us those things.  We can try to be understanding by anticipating some of their struggles.

~ Extra energy can be released by beating your sister over the head with a stuffed animal (or worse) or it can be released by working hard to pump your legs and swing "all by yourself."

~ Cranky kids can squabble about things that make no sense or they can ride a bike while yelling like banshees.

~ Mischievous children can make blasted, inexcusable messes inside or they can create mud pies in the sand box.


They don't know how to tell us that they NEED to run.  They don't realize that they need fresh air.  They may not understand why they feel cranky and mean.

We can help them by getting them outside, every, every, every day.

Dominique

Photos taken on my recent 12 mile mountain back road bike ride with my dad and sister in law.