Monday, March 9, 2020

Another Bright Spot

Last Sunday, I was sitting in the waiting room with Blossom1 and Blossom4.  My little Blossom4 was in pain.  She couldn't have any more medicine for forty-five minutes.  There were sick people all around me.  I was exhausted.  Terrible sleep for two weeks will do that to you.


Who knew how long we'd be there?!
And would the pharmacy even be open by the time Blossom4 saw a doctor?!


I managed to soothe Blossom4 for about forty-five minutes and finally could give her a dose of ibuprofen while we waited to see the doctor.  She asked for a drink of water and, my heart sank as I realized I had taken my resident water bottle out of my purse that very morning.


I cuddled her close and tried to distract her.  Meanwhile, another lady came in with her ten year old daughter.  This woman started to chat with me.  Honestly, I answered her questions politely, but I didn't feel like chatting.  I didn't really try for more conversation.

I just wanted to get Blossom4 into to see the doctor.
I wanted to be done with fevers.
I wanted to GO HOME.
The Rugged Mountain Man was coming down with the flu.
I was weary.
I wanted the misery to end.
I just wanted Blossom4's relief.


Then, she must have overheard Blossom4 ask me again for water.  She spoke up, "Can I get her a bottle of water? I have a whole case in my car!"  I paused, pondering if I should take (bottled!) water from a stranger.  With a relief that was palpable, I finally said, "That would be really great actually."


This stranger brought in THREE ice cold bottles of water for us.

I shyly teared up.  She then proceeded to carry on a friendly conversation with me for the next hour and a half.

Aside from the water, it wasn't until later when we started coming out of our fog, that I realized what a blessing she'd been to us.  Her conversation had served to thoroughly distract Blossom4 (and me) for an hour and a half until we finally saw the doctor!


What I thought was a bother in my own weariness,
struck me as a Godsend, carefully arranged by loving Divine hands.