Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Gone Fishin'

It was a hot and busy summer day.  The Rugged Mountain Man emerged from his "Hobbit Hole" home office as I was preparing supper and said, "Do you want to go fishing?"  


I stared blankly and replied, "Like now?"  Spontaneous isn't my strong point when I'm envisioning four hangry girls moaning and pacing the river banks.  

Once we established that he meant we'd eat supper and then head to a boat access ramp that we'd only slightly explored in the past, I was more than game.  


I told him that I didn't even care if I caught one fish, I knew we all needed to just get away from the cares of life.  God created us for the Great Outdoors!

By evening, the sunshine was golden and the weather milder.


Blossom4 threw her hook in the water once and then gave herself up to exploring the river, swimming in the warm crystal waters and catching crayfish.  


Blossom2 and Blossom3 ventured far out into the middle with Daddy in order to fish untouched fishing holes.  The bass were biting!


Blossom1 preferred fishing with me or helping Blossom4 with her crayfish expeditions.  Such victory shouts from the Littlest Blossom when the crayfish entered her captivity!  And, Blossom1 tried her hand at fishing with crayfish as bait.


Jake and Rory were in their glory, swimming, splashing and messing up my fishing, 
but I (mostly) didn't mind.  

With revitalizing river breezes and fresh air as filling as a feast, 
I threw off the cares and rested my soul.  

Since all fishing eventually descends into swimming, the Blossoms' fearlessness in the river curbed my rest a bit.  


I later reflected that I don't need perfect outings to rest, if my rest is in the Lord.  

I've been asking myself, 
"Where does my rest come from?"

Dominique