Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Guard the Well

On a day when I was exhausted, I caught this beautiful view of dainty, periwinkle chicory, an Amish schoolhouse and hazy mountains.  It made me smile.


Sometimes when mamas are tired and emotionally and physically spent, we have to step back and see what is contributing.  It's not uncommon for July to be especially wearying here, but this one seems more so than any other. 

I am still spending my mornings on the porch, enjoying my quiet time with God.  What I didn't realize was that Tom & Jerry were doing their best to interrupt.  Jake & Rory wanted to see what Tom & Jerry were up to.  Two other miscellaneous farm animals were spending their time being kept on special watch in cages on the back porch and I was feeling like I had to get up and water the garden every 10 minutes during my quiet time. 

Does that seem like much?  Not really, but when you put it all together, I realized that my essential life-giving one on one time with God was becoming like a popcorn session... read a few words, bat a kitty away from my tea and pop up (again) to move the sprinkler.  After several days of this, it's no wonder my outlook and attitude felt the repercussions. 

Yes, the garden will wait and so will the animals.  I must continue to guard the Well where I drink.


Dominique