Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lean Strong

"Every morning lean thine arm upon the windowsill of Heaven,
and then, lean strong to meet thy day."

I read this quote several years ago in a book on solitude lent to me by a friend/co-worker.  It remains a favorite quote of mine to this day.  Some day, when I have spare time again, perhaps I'll paint it on our bedroom or bathroom wall.  It stands as a much-needed reminder, similar to the one I had hanging on the back of my bedroom door when I was a teenager.  That sign said, "Have you read your Bible and prayed today?"  A family friend came to visit, stayed in my and my sister's room, and took the sign with her when she left, because she liked it so much.  (I gave it to her; she didn't steal it! :)  We need these kinds of reminders, when we're feeling our morning invincibility... the kind that eventually leads to the oh-my-goodness-I'm-on-E-and-there's-still-much-to-do-so-I-think-I'll-just-cry-now time of the day.   For me, in my current season of having a Baby Blossom, that means I sit down to nurse, take a deep breath, close my eyes and meet with God... again.  He'll enable me to lean strong to meet the ever-present challenges of the day.