Tuesday, October 19, 2021

It Was Only a Straw

It was a straw that broke that poor camel's back...

Not a load of bricks.

Not a burden of stones.

A straw. 

Just like a million small things seem to be what overwhelms a mama.  

And my latest philosophy is:

"Do what bothers you."

All the little things snowball and lead to loads of discouragement.  And when I'm discouraged over the insurmountable tasks that need to be done, I tend to waste time avoiding them.  (I know, it really doesn't make sense.)

Lately, I (re)send the girls off to do what they are supposed to be doing, and I do something that's bothering me.  

Even if it's only the five minute version of taking care of what's bothering me. 

If you think your house is loaded with cobwebs, at least start with knocking down that one that you can see out of the corner of your eye while you're grading math.  

If the dusty baseboards are bothering you, at least wipe down the ones in the bathroom that have been tormenting you while you do your business.  

If the wash seems like it's out of control, at least throw in the load with the jeans your daughter needs for Bible Quiz practice tonight.  

Maybe it doesn't seem like much, but I've found that it snaps me out of my overwhelm and helps me see that the journey of a million miles truly begins with a single step.

Now, I'm back to sipping my tea and doing a few things that bother me. 

Dominique


Photo Credit to the Blossoms. They were wielding my camera up at Grandma's house up on the mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!