Friday, October 15, 2021

A New Hook

Lounging in a sumptuous couch after teaching my Crazy 8s math class at co-op, I chatted merrily with old friends.  Our conversation jack-rabbited in our typical fashion from writing to fiery crockpots to the National Guard to ants.  

Yes, ants.  

We reminisced about the time Blossom4 ate an ant.  On purpose.  The story goes something like this:

Go ahead, pop over there and read it.  It's a classic from 2017!

One of my friends is teaching a writing class and she's been working with the students on their "hooks."  You have to get the readers' attention, bulldog tight, from the get-go!  I love a good writing challenge, so with my classic parenting story, I brainstormed a few more first lines for it.  

~Sobbing.  Sniffling.  Weeping.  Over the wrong color ant?

~Speechless.  Virtually speechless.  All because of a fire ant.

~She's four.  She's blond.  She's a pixie.  And she ate an ant. 

~I wanted to teach them survivalism, after all, but I'm not sure ants in the sandbox were what I had in mind.

~There's protein in ants, right?  Asking for a friend.

~This is definitely going on my list of things I'd never thought I'd say as a mom.


I think the protein one wins, in my book.  

The whole exercise made for a good laugh and a fun little stroll down memory lane. 

Be assured, Blossom4 is older and wiser now (EIGHT), but you never know...

Dominique


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought or two!