Friday, October 27, 2017

Rockin' out the Pumpkin Rolls

I was talking with a friend about how hands-on learning seems to be the most effective way to truly learn something.  When I discovered that another friend of mine was an expert pumpkin roll baker, I realized the Blossoms and I needed to capitalize.  This will be some tasty hands-on learning!


This mama has tried and tried to figure out how to properly and successfully roll a pumpkin roll.  They just keep cracking!  How better to learn, than from an expert?

It took quite a while for us to get our pumpkin roll lessons scheduled, mostly because of my busy schedule, but we eventually got around to it... a year later. 


Elizabeth is not only an expert, but also is a person who is willing to let us invade her home, making a gigantic mess in her kitchen in the process.  It didn't seem to bother her in the least.


What also touched me was that when we arrived, her boys had rounded up an astounding amount of imaginative toys for the little girls to play with in the adjoining living room.  They'd prepared for us, which enabled me and the big Blossoms to more fully focus on rolling pumpkin.  That's hospitality - thinking of and providing for your guests.


Elizabeth knows her stuff.  We baked a very specific recipe with very specific proportions.  Silicone mats on smaller cookie sheets seem to work best for easy removal.  

Once plopped on an abundant cushion of powdered sugar, she then rolls them in three kitchen towels ~ two thin cotton flour sack style towels sandwiched around a thicker kitchen towel.  Apparently it helps to soak up the steam.

It's like magic.  Pumpkin magic.


(Don't worry, the stovetop is set to the locked off setting.  I checked.)


Next up, our tightly rolled rolls rocked on over to the freezer to chill for a while.


Once they are fully cooled, they can move to the next step.  I learned that it is a mistake to rush this process.  Pumpkin rolls fill best when thoroughly cooled.  

Then, they magically unroll for filling time.  

Insert my sparkly awed eyes.


To say that I was thrilled with how well they unrolled is an understatement.  

I'd say it's the little things in life, but around here, "punkin roll" ain't no little thang.


See, this is how it's done.


Like a good homeschool mom, she made Blossom1 go for it next!


I still can't believe she wasn't twitching over all the powdered sugar in her kitchen.  


In the meantime, I did the dishes to help ease the twitches she might've been holding back.


Elizabeth lassoed Blossom2 for some fancy rolling practice and then, she wrangled me in.  


If the Blossoms can roll these things, so can I!

Friends learning and chatting in the kitchen has been one of those old-fashioned practices that I'm trying to resurrect in our lifestyle.  Each time I carve out time for it, I'm glad I did.  It's good fellowship and we come away with new skills and recipes that stand the test of time.


We wrapped these beauties in press-n-seal and stored all but one in the deep freezer.


The lone pumpkin roll was gone before 24 hours were through.  Blossom4 requested pumpkin roll the next day.  When I told her it was all gone, she said, "No, dey are not.  Dere are seven more in the freezer, Mommy!"  

That's what happens when you teach your kids to count, people.  Think carefully before doing so.  

Next up, homemade pierogies.  They've only been on my mental to-do list for about eight months, so I'd call that progress.  

Dominique