Monday, October 16, 2017

Jake's Cakes Takeaways

And so it begins.

Another season of the girlies' dog treat business.  Boy, oh, boy.  There's nothing like the fragrance of toasted whole wheat flour and peanut butter in the air.  That, and the sheen of wheat flour on the counter tops and carpet is endearing as well.

While I don't love the mess that comes with the girlies' entrepreneurial endeavor, I do love the takeaways.

I'm so glad that I can teach the Blossoms about priorities.  I'm realizing that children do not naturally prioritize.  Before I realized this, I would be in a stressful season and get more and more upset because the girlies would be worried about the tiny, little inconsequential things.  For example, we were strategizing on how many batches of dog treats need to be baked each day to make our goal inventory for Saturday.  You might then hear a Blossom put their energy into rabbit stories or rabbit names.  Say what?  We literally need to bake over a thousand dog treats this week, in addition to school and our other commitments and you're concerned about the details in your latest imaginative rabbit story?!?!?

There's nothing wrong with all the details children are concerned about.  In fact, that very trait has saved me a time or two, when I forgot something.  Plus, they're imaginative and funny individuals who always have interesting stuff on their minds.  They just don't know how to put things on the back burner at the appropriate time.  I've decided not to let the frustration mount at this lack of prioritizing on their part.  We're doing this "thang" so we can learn how to prioritize what needs to be done first.

I guess I have more life skills education on the agenda these days.