Friday, October 20, 2017

Sparkling Gems We Aren't Missing

Most people think of homeschoolers as missing out, but the longer I'm in this journey, the more I relish the many unique opportunities that we're not missing.


The freedom of this life lets us make opportunities and take opportunities, so I regularly revel in all the really amazing opportunities we get to experience together.  


Together is a word I cherish.  Together is a word that I let rest on my tongue like I savor a chunk of dark chocolate.  

(shelter-building)

 Together makes me happy.


So, this forest-schooling session of co-op, that started out as a bud of an idea in my friend and co-leader's mind, has been bulging with interesting new skills.


There have been knots.  (You can not not have knots in an outdoors class... sorry, I couldn't resist. :)


Occasionally, we moms squeeze in some dark chocolate while we encourage each other as we march to a different beat.  


And apparently, we never stop loving to learn.  

That's my mom standing there, directly to the left of the rubbermaid tote, watching half the class get a lesson in batoning, a knife technique for larger hunks of wood.  She's been dropping by on her day off just to see her grand daughters in their classes, just to bring me Dr. Pepper and just to be with us.  


She left the other day with a "That was SO cool!" and a huge grin on her face.  My mom's pretty sweet like that, meaning she's always loved having her kids and grandkids with her AND she loves to learn.  It doesn't seem to have waned in her yet.  I wanna be like that.


Another thing I've loved about co-op is getting to enjoy the morning hours outside.  This park always has a layer of heavy fog over the lake.  We witness the sunshine, burning it off, as early morning gives way to mid-day.


The fog lifts, and simply observing the fishermen's craft in the morning stillness seems magical.  


As the rangers make their morning rounds and the children explore the Great Outdoors, it feels like a big, big world.  


Of course, I can't help a mushroom mug shot or two.


On one Wednesday, we explored the West launch of our park, a section I hadn't visited previously.  A friend and I stood there in the hush of foggy beauty, trying hard not to envy the kayaks of retirees, peaceably paddling out into the glassy waters.  Our day will come, but for today, we're just thankful to venture outside with our Blessings.


The Blossoms' latest skills now include lighting a fire with a ferro rod.  


Note: It's harder than it looks.  

There's lots of striking, specific angles to consider and oh, all your tinder has to be prepared just right.  


This gal here isn't one of mine, but she sure fits right in.  She's determinedly practicing her latest life skill too.


I was helping to supervise on "fire day" and aside from the unseasonably warm morning, it was a pleasant experience.  They listened well, paid attention respectfully and helped their pals out.  A few of the boys had practiced with these sorts of things before.  I found myself squatting by those that were struggling.  Quietly and discreetly, a few of the boys would suddenly appear by my side and tactfully ask if help was needed.  


They coached, assisted, encouraged and shared their knowledge.  I was impressed with their skills and their manner.  Lots of people know what to do better than you.  Few people can tell you that in a nice way, but these boys did.


We've also spent some time working with pine pitch glue.  We've learned how to make it (pine sap!) and what to do with it.  This skill was particularly enjoyable on our recent cabin trip.  The girlies spent hours with their Altoid tin by the fire, melting the sap, mixing it with charcoal and preparing it for use.


Being outside, experiencing good fellowship and acquiring valuable and unusual life skills has been something like the beauty we discovered on this pine branch.


Sparkling gems, nestled in the evergreen boughs of our everyday life.


I'm standing here, glad and grateful.