Monday, May 20, 2013

And the Rules are...

Tips for Surviving (and Enjoying!) A Family Road Trip ~

#4 - Maintain Discipline
All the normal rules still apply and discipline was carried out when the rules were broken.  It's hard to carry it out on vacation, but I've found that I must.  It might be nice to be off-duty from discipline, but that's reaps a nasty harvest in my experience.  I also added additional incentive for good behavior from stop to stop.  I had three clothespins where all could see.  Each Blossoms' name was on one.  If you were bad, you heard a warning and then I take your clothespin down (in addition to a spanking, if that was in order.)  If your clothespin was up when we got to the potty stop, you got a special treat when we got back in the van and were buckled in.  I used Starbursts because they take so long for little fingers to open!  (That's less time available for boredom!)  This little system worked well for us.  I did use my little spanking spoon at necessary times, but they were the better for it.  Just because you are strapped in for 13 hours doesn't mean you can be a brat.  The funny thing is, it worked.  I figured, I'm doing all I can to make their trip pleasant.  They need to do their part to make it pleasant by behaving as well.  And, I can honestly say that I enjoyed that time with them in the van, getting to read and interact more than usual.  They enjoyed it as well.  What a blessing!