Monday, May 13, 2013

How I Survived 13 hours in a Van with My 3 Blossoms

Summer is the time for road trips and I, along with a very brave Grandma and 3 young Blossoms, trekked 13 hours cross country to visit with our extended family.  And, I actually enjoyed it.  And, Grandma actually enjoyed it.  And, we all still really like each other.  I think that's a witness to unsaved folk all around us.  That trip inspired me to share a few tips and pointers with you so that your family road trips are not marred by throttling a child or two.

We had taken a much shorter road trip a few weeks prior to our 13 hour road trip.  It did not go well.  Skipper was wailing out "DONE!!!!  DONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE!" when we still had more driving to do.  My eyes were wide, as I felt enlightened to what could happen when we were in the van 13 hours together.  Yikes.  Without further ado, tip #1...

#1 - Expectations:
EXPECT to entertain the children, not sit quietly in the front seat enjoying the view or reading your favorite book.  (I think this is what you get to do when you have teenagers.)  Knowing this up front helped me to prepare my attitude (and my arsenal of non-boredom tools).