Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Road Trips

Tips for Surviving (and Enjoying!) A Family Road Trip ~

#2 - Prepare, Prepare, Prepare:
I spent a lot of time scouring Pinterest for great ideas, free printable travel games (bingo, road searches etc), activites, hand play rhymes/songs and such.  Our top favorite thing was an audio book of Anne of Green Gables that we borrowed from the library.  Next, we loved pipe cleaners... yes, pipe cleaners.  Skipper and I played pipe cleaners for 30 minutes at a time!  She'd make a shape, show me and then hand it to me.  I disassembled it, make a shape, show her and then she disassembled mine.  Who knew a pipe cleaner could be so fun?!  I also spent time picking up cheap stuff at the Dollar Store beforehand.  Things like dice, Bible Go Fish, Bible trivia cards, new crayons and coloring books went over very well.  Next time, I'll be taking cookie sheets along for the Blossoms.  Because they have sides, little toys can be played with and dice rolled without losing pieces.  (Thankfully I had cardboard trays along that the lacing cards were stored in that worked just fine.)  Other people have suggested magnetic letters for on the cookie sheets for some more van fun.  I took a special book for read aloud time.  Little green army men came along.  A mini-magnadoodle took the trip.