Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Tribute of Sorts

I recently found out that an old friend has died.  Her name was Kathleen.  Let me give you a painfully honest account of my friendship with Kathleen.  It began when I was only 15 years old and my family visited a new church.  It was the church that was to become our church family.  When we walked into the service that day, Kathleen was the very first person to introduce herself to me.  She was friendly - albeit a tad odd.  That was my first impression.  It was confirmed time and again.  I later learned that through some unforeseen circumstances, Kathleen had part of her brain removed.  So, while we all understood her oddities, we did sometimes shudder when she'd greet the visitors before the "normal" folk got to them.  Amazingly, despite her "handicap" Kathleen still found ways to be used by God in small, sometimes child-like ways.  Once, she found out that I was working hard and believing God to provide money for me to go to a very expensive gymnastics camp.  That was the first big thing I'd believed for in my young teenager life.  She shook my hand one Sunday and gave me some cash toward my goal.  In my mind's eye, I can still see the crayon-shaped piggy bank I dropped that money into as I marveled at how God answered.  I'm pretty sure it came from her meager Social Security living, since she was unable to work, but God used her.  Gymnastics camp wasn't the point or what made an impression on me; it was seeing faith work and seeing God use someone.  Later on, she'd bless me with other things - timely, encouraging words or little gifts of Swedish Fish candy and a note that said, "You're the 'Swedish fish' I know!"  She was always there with a hug and a smile, even though I'm certain life and dreams looked bleak to her almost every day.  At one point in my teenage years, my friends and I were hanging out with another teenager whom I'll call "the Instigator."  He found great pleasure in "egging" Kathleen on, getting her mad and mocking her cat.  So what if she had a cat named, "Joyful" with a middle name of, "Always."  He even made fun of her dreams to have a greeting card line and write a children's book.  I remember laughing along with him.  Looking back, I don't really know what is so strange about a children's book about a pig princess, but it was "raised-in-church-teenager-post-church-service-kind-of-fun."  It all changed one day when I read "Whatever you've done to the least of these, you've done unto me." I knew God was talking to me about Kathleen.  She was the least of these, or at least in my life she was.  I never laughed at her again.  My friendship with Kathleen was good and pleasant until a few years later when our lives parted ways and I no longer got to see her on a regular basis.  I'd think of her sometimes and smile.  Somewhere along the way, I guess I'd grown up and I could call her my friend.  Then one day, I was at a regional women's conference with my sister-in-law and mother-in-law and I saw Kathleen through the crowds.  I knew I had to track her down. For some reason it was really important to me.  I left my group and wandered around the foyer til I found her again.  I said, "Hey Kathleen, do you remember me?"  She smiled that old Kathleen smile, gave me a good hug and we reminisced a little while. It was so good to see her again.  All the little blessings she'd brought to my life came flooding back.  And that one lesson I'd learned about "the least of these" became like a jewel to me.  Now, three and a half years later, I've discovered that Kathleen has crossed into Glory land.  She's happier there.  She doesn't have a handicap slowing her down.  And, all her best and most real dreams have come true now.  You know, I've never liked when people take a heathen and make a saint out of them after they die.  What I say of her is true.  Kathleen really was a saint who lived for Jesus in the best ways she could.  That's what had an impression on me.  If Kathleen can touch people's lives for our Lord, He will use you and me too.  To live truly is Christ, but to die is gain - oh, so much gain. 

By the way, she did publish a children's book before she died.  Not bad for a "handicapped" person just trying to use their gifts for the Lord.