Friday, May 24, 2013

A Bad Attitude Can Make Boredom

Tips for Surviving (and Enjoying!) A Family Road Trip ~

#6 - Deal with Boredom at the Root - the Attitude!
At first, I rapidly handed out cool toys on our cross-country trip.  And, that satisfied the Blossoms, for a few seconds!  I noticed that little girlies were handing those back to me within 30 seconds, wanting a different toy or game to play.  This happened repeatedly.  It was like my miracle travel bag was being emptied rapid-fire.  (GAH!  Picture wide fear-filled Mommy eyes!)  I realized that they were choosing to be bored, even choosing to be discontent with the situation.  Now, I agree, I don't like being strapped in for 13 hours either, but we can make the best of it.  So, I actually had to deal with my children.  "You are choosing to be bored.  You need to slow down and enjoy the toy or game you have.  You must learn to make the best of your current situation."  We worked at it.  We didn't allow whining and they eventually got it.  They figured out the entertaining themselves thing.  By the straight-through trip home, I did WAY LESS entertaining.  They were making up games and playing contentedly so much more than on the way.  Hmmmm, another instance of attitude determining action.