Tuesday, May 14, 2013

An Observation

Periodically I have those, "OH WOW" moments.  This one happened a few times over the past few months.  In one instance, it was particularly nice outside and there was rain in the forecast for the next few days.  The Blossoms normally help clean up after supper.  I said to my two oldest Blossoms - Scooter (#2) and Skeeter (#1),

"Mommy can handle these few dishes tonight.  You two head outside to play before the rain comes tomorrow." 

"Oh, THANK YOU, Mommy!" 

"Did you hear that Scooter?  Mommy said she can handle the dishes tonight and we can go play right NOW!?!" 

Then, the other instance:
Skeeter (#1) normally sorts all the laundry.  We'd returned from a weekend away and there was way more laundry than usual.  For whatever reason, I turned to Skeeter and said,

"I tell ya what.  Mommy will sort these this morning.  You head to your next chore, ok?"

"Oh, THANKS, Mommy!"  And, she headed over to get started on sweeping the kitchen floor."

My observation was that if you make your children work regularly, they are much more grateful for those times that you do what they are normally expected to do.