Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Let the Blossoms Do It

Tips for Surviving (and Enjoying!) A Family Road Trip ~

#5 - Let them figure it out. -
That was my motto on our road trip.  If I handed them a snack that was difficult to open, I might normally offer a little more assistance.  We're stuck in the van, for hours.  We're not in a hurry to get anywhere, I gave them a few extra seconds to figure out opening it.  They opened all their own Starbursts.  They laced all their own lacing cards, with only verbal assistance.  I was right there, pointing, offering verbal instructions and encouragement, but they figured things out.  I really think it was good for them.  And, it contributed to less boredom.  I personally like the satisfaction of figuring something out myself.  I'm glad that they could experience that too.