Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Christmas Hospitality

"Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality."
~Washington Irving


Kindling the fire of hospitality has been on the higher end of the priority list this December.  We've enjoyed having lots of little girls over.  We've savored whole family get-togethers.  We've enjoyed  quiet, impromptu conversations over tea.  


This is something that is important to me to instill in the Blossoms.  Real fellowship and true ministry happen within the bounds of relationships that are nurtured in a comfortable, welcoming home.  


You'll find entertainment and hospitality at two opposite ends of the spectrum.  Entertainment is designed to impress and perform an event successfully.  Hospitality puts all the focus of love on your guests.  


We've tried new recipes this December.  Things like pizza roll-ups and french toast casserole were a hit.  We've relied on old favorites like gingerbread men and peanut butter balls.  We've counted on the well stocked tea drawer and hot chocolate cupboard to welcome folks in out of the cold.  


That's not to say that things didn't go wrong.  Why in the world does the can opener break when you're prepping for a gathering?  Why, why, WHY?  

Yes, I googled how to open cans without a can opener.  Miraculously, no one was hurt.

There's always gonna be bumps in the road.  


I also reminded myself to let the Blossoms do it, which should probably just be taped to my forehead.  

Some nights when I looked at the list of what needed to be done, I knew it wasn't possible.


And, I handed things off.  You know what?  

They nailed it.  

Sometimes Usually when the little Blossoms tackled a project, it meant more clean-up.  Seeing what the big Blossoms can handle now on their own, helped me pep-talk myself through the process, messy or not.  


My grandma was able to be here from Wisconsin, joining us for some nice Christmasy gatherings.  What a precious gift that was!  Incidentally, she's turning 80 tomorrow, so I valued the time together.  After one gathering, she complimented me on my hospitality.  I'm sharing that with you because it made me reflect on all the hospitality practice my mom gave my sister and me.  
We were given the opportunity to do.


Friends, for true relationship building, to love and to minister to people well, open your home and your heart.  Give your kids the chance to do.  Branch out.  

Kindle the fire of hospitality, 

Dominique