Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Taking Note; Grasping Contentment

For a mama, it's so easy to let this time of year become just a whole lot of extra work!  Endless to-do lists, late nights and extra demands can push already tired mamas over the edge.  To help myself keep the joy of the Christmas season, I've been taking note of the little things that make me smile. 

Meandering through Walmart, steering my cart around grandfathers, dads and sons doing their hunting camp grocery shopping together, loading their carts with bacon, sharp cheese and ring balogna. 

Driving home from our Christmas get-togethers, seeing numerous cars parked at various and sundry homes throughout the region, I enjoy day-dreaming about families getting together, just the same as we are. 

I'm enjoying the unexpected times with family this Christmas.  My favorite thing this season so far, is the gathering of my entire family at my place after my nephew's baby dedication.  Happy chaos!  We've squeezed in tea time too and we're looking forward to hot chocolate and a movie with cousins.


The extra baking, the putzing around in the kitchen, the messes we make together are special to me.  Our cookies and candy are never perfect.  They are creative, silly and a little off-kilter at times.  How did I learn though?  Right beside my mother, surrounded by chaos, ingredients, smiles, chatter and love.  I now realize that she might've been secretly taking deep breaths and grinning through clenched teeth, standing on tired feet.  Funny, I don't remember that part.  I remember the "together."

Hearing the strains of the Gospel in the dear old carols ringing through my home makes me remember that it all started with a baby and God's wonderful plan.



Rising in the morning, doing my chores around the house and discovering the popsicle stick star that travels around my home always makes my heart happy. The wise men eventually trail behind it.  The Blossoms are very creative when they hide the star.  Right now, it's reposing on the bulletin board with the wise men perched on the nearby printer.

The questions the girlies pose like "How many more sleeps til _______________?" and the exclamations of "There are so many nice things to look forward to this time of year!" are simple exclamations of their anticipation.  I like seeing things through their eyes, even though it means answering lots of questions.

Family and friends always check in with calls, texts and emails of "Did he/she get a deer yet?"  It's just another affectionate connection tied to this season that I appreciate.  I love listening and laughing over the hunting stories that are shared.

All the the secret attempts at gaining Christmas gift ideas with sneaky, leading questions make for fun conversations.  The silly smiles that accompany those conversations are priceless.  The conversations and bonding are more fun than the gift itself!

Remember the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31?  She smiles at the days ahead! (verse 25)

I'm finding that a simple way to smile at the days ahead is to 
take note of the good things of today.

Winter and the holidays may not be your favorite time of year.  Your budget may be slim and your family situation may not be idyllic, but finding joy and grasping contentment are workings of the heart that don't cost in money.  It's our choice to grasp contentment.  When we do, undoubtedly we have the greatest gain.

Dominique