Saturday, December 30, 2017

First Snow

The first snow dawned beautifully about two weeks ago.  Of course, the Blossoms were delighted and begged to play in it after the morning choring was finished.


I used to fight this.  I'd say, "Finish your schoolwork and then, we'll have some snow time."  They'd fidget their way through my reminders to get busy and usually by lunch time, the snow was well on its way to being totally melted.  That's just the kind of winters we've had over the past several years.  


Realizing that one of the best ways to enjoy winter is to do wintery things, I've changed up my approach.  Fresh air is good for you and knowing outdoor winter skills is useful.  


We embrace winter now, whenever it comes.  


They feed the livestock and then, we whole-heartedly do winter.  On this particular morning, it was windy.  We bundled up, dug out the sleds, skis and snowboards and trudged to the highest point of our yard.  


The view was breathtaking.  I snapped a few shots and then gave myself up to the mama tasks of the moments - strapping skis and snowboards and pushing girlies down the hill on their sleds.  Occasionally, I took a run down the hill with the girls in our massive toboggan-like sled.


It was glorious.  

Later, we all came inside to settle around the kitchen table with tea, hot chocolate and muffins. When all were warmed and fed, we broke out the math books and dug in there for some focused schoolwork, still accomplishing much.

What a treasure of a day!

Dominique