Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Don't Be Surprised

After you've homeschooled for about a week or, quite possibly, only three hours, you often find that homeschooling is about 97% character training. 

I understand that this gig is tiring.
I get that it's big and it gets ugly.
I get that it is discouraging to be David waging battle against a seeming Goliath of rotten attitudes.

When I see the character issues rear up, I see it as confirmation:

I'm in the right place.

The fact is, I'm the woman God chose for this job.  That thought keeps peace in my soul on the hardest of days.  Knowing your calling, knowing His place for you, settles so many issues; contentment and perseverance being just a few of them.

When their foot-stomping sobbing ensues, whisper to yourself, "I'm in the right place."  

Because the focus of homeschooling is, admittedly, schooling or education, we are sometimes surprised when character issues surface.  It's just math, right?  Do it, get it done and move on, right?  Why isn't it that easy?

Don't be surprised when the character issues surface.  

If they came trained, we wouldn't need to train them up, would we?

If you're looking for me, I'll just be over here, making them do __________________.

Where will you be?