Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Micro-Farm Tested Winter Gear for Kids

The secret to raisin' winter-lovin' or just winter-enjoying kids might be as simple as keeping them warm.  Like my dad and the Norwegians say,


"There's no such thing as bad weather, 
just bad clothing choices." 
The Blossoms spend about 40 minutes every morning feeding their livestock, in addition to afternoon or evening play times outside.  We've found a number of things that keep the girlies outfitted for real, rustic life outdoors.  These are our micro-farm tested winter favorites!



#1 - Canvas Overalls
We love Carhart type overalls.  They keep the heat in.  Instead of over-paying for the brand name, we actually prefer the less expensive brand, Walls.  They are durable.  Though currently sold out at walmart.com, Berne and Schmidt are excellent brands too, and they are available at Tractor Supply stores.  We have found that regular snow pants are not as warm and they don't hold up to the every day wear and tear that this lifestyle requires.  I also don't care for snow pants you just pull on.  When you're bending and reaching like the Blossoms are, they need their body heat to stay in and overalls make an overall difference. (ahem... pun intended... sorry)  When the hand-me-downs wear out and I end up buying chore/play coats for the girls, I like to buy the matching canvas coats too.  Its toughness is unbeatable!  Plus, if I buy them in camo, they double as warm hunting gear too.



#2 - Mufflers or Gaiters
I upcycled a fleece scarf and fleece scraps into these mufflers.  They're an easy sewing project that has been super worth my while.  They stay on much better than a scarf.  There's no risk of it getting caught on any of their equipment, cages or pens, like a scarf would.  They can be pulled up over the nose if the wind is particularly bitey.  I wash the Blossoms' mufflers often to keep the germs at bay, since they often breathe through them on the coldest days.

#3 - Thick Wool Socks
Every year, the Blossoms get a pair of wool socks in their stockings.  They love this tradition and it pays off in the winter.  I even try to buy the colors they like best, so when I'm folding socks, I know whose are whose.  We've found that these Kodiak kids socks, which I've often bought in store at Wal-mart and online, hold up really well, keeping their feet toasty.  On the coldest days, with subzero temps, the Blossoms will layer two pairs in their boots to ward off the chill.

#4 - Long Johns/"Under Armor"
I once scoffed at the idea of wearing long underwear.  I've since decided that it is the mountain family's best friend!  Thermal long underwear bought from Wal-mart, hand-me-down under-armor and thrift store off brand finds all do the same thing: keep the girlies' core warm.  When the Blossoms were very little and tiny long underwear was a little harder to find, I layered leggings and a tighter long-sleeve tee.  It worked very well.  Long Johns + winter = MUST HAVE



#5 - Hats that Cover Ears
We own several aviator style hats. The Blossoms are required to wear these type of hats when they go out to feed and play, unless they have a thick "beanie" that goes down over their ears and stays over their ears.  Their bright orange hats I picked up from Wal-mart are their favorites!  I've since weeded out all the ridiculous beanies that don't do anything but look cute.  I need to know the girlies are warm outside.  It isn't wise to be under dressed in the wind and cold.



#6 - Insulated Waterproof Gloves
The jury is still out on a dependable brand of warm, but flexible gloves for the Blossoms' winter gear closet.  Right now, we have a wide variety of options for them, ranging from ski-type snow gloves to wool flip-down mittens.  The current winners are these insulated rubber coated work gloves recommended to us by a 4-H alumnus.  The Rugged Mountain Man told her that Blossom2 always got saddled with refilling the water dishes on brutally cold mornings and she promptly recommended these.  I ordered them as soon as he passed the info on to me.  When Blossom2 came back in from chores after wearing them for the first time, she gave me a HUGE hug.  They keep her hands warm AND dry, so she was tickled to have something that took the bitterness out of good wholesome work.  I imagine I'll be ordering a few more pairs before long.



#7 - Rubber Boots
Rubber boots aren't known for being super warm, but when paired with thick, sumptuous socks, they are a winner for choring that involves snow, ice and water.  For kids' sizes, Wal-mart has them in stock, though I've found the longest lasting to be the adult sizes carried at Tractor Supply stores.  We buy 'em bigger and let 'em clunk around in them til they fit.

As I was headed outside to help with the shoveling, I took note that 4 1/2 year old Blossom4 got herself totally and suitable suited up for a 25 degree day in the snow.  She did it all by herself.  Now that she's helping outside daily, she didn't start out the winter being able to handle all the zippers and closures, plus remembering all the right gear.  Mama and the big Blossoms had to pitch in there.  I told her how proud I was that she managed all her layers all by herself.  I'm excited that she's learning how to be appropriately attired for winter.  Hope you found a few tips for keeping your people warm and toasty this winter.  Get outside soon!

Dominique

PS - If you're interested, check out my summer work equipment list here.